ST MATTHEW'S SHUTTINGTON
St Matthew’s is the smallest of the churches in the Parish of All Souls but arguably the oldest, as it had strong connections with the nearby Alvecote Priory (sadly no longer in existence) and may have originally served as a chapel of ease. Before the creation of Alvecote Pools following mining subsidence there was a pathway between the church and Alvecote used by the monks who resided at the Priory.
The nave of the church dates from around 1150, with later alterations and the chancel is thought to have been rebuilt in the 13th century. The main feature of the exterior is the splendid Romanesque west doorway, the only complete original feature which survives, although much weather-worn. The interior of the building has a much more modern feel, having undergone extensive restorations in 1844 and again in the early 20th century.
The work in 1908 – 9 included raising the roof and installing new windows in the 12th century Romanesque style, to replace the mediaeval 13th century windows and to match the west doorway. The interior was completely refurbished, with new pews and choir stalls in best quartered oak. Of the earlier 17th and 18th century furnishings, only the pulpit survives.
Further work on the exterior was undertaken in 2005 – 6, with repairs to the roof and stonework and the laying of new drains. Our most recent project (2016) has been the installation of modern heating and lighting.
St Matthew’s is not always easy to spot, tucked away behind houses off the main road, but it is well situated on the edge of the valley with commanding views out towards the River Anker and Alvecote.